The National Truck Driver Shortage
Now is a Great Time to Start Your Professional Driving Career
Trucking Industry by the Numbers (U.S.)
- There is a shortage of roughly 80,000 truck drivers.
- The number of unfilled trucking jobs is expected to double by 2030.
- The average commercial truck driver in the U.S. is 48 years old.
- Approximately 72.5% of all freight in the U.S. is moved via truck.
Reasons for the Truck Driver Shortage
- Aging Workforce: Many current drivers are approaching retirement age, and companies aren’t able to replenish their workforce fast enough.
- Supply Chain Issues: Increasing demand for products has overwhelmed the capacity of the supply chain and has pressured the transportation industry to solve these logistical issues.
- Driver Stereotypes: Contrary to popular belief, truck driving is an elite profession made up of men and women who are smart, talented and dedicated. Drivers are routinely drug/alcohol tested, follow strict safety regulations and meet the physical demands of the job.
Why Consider a Flatbed Driving Career with PGT Trucking?
- Availability of Jobs: With the current truck driver shortage, there are always open positions for professional flatbed drivers, truck technicians and office personnel.
- High Paying Career: Due to tight capacity, drivers are making more money than ever before. In 2021, first year drivers averaged an astounding $73,000. Top earners brought in over six figures!
- It’s a Driver’s Market: Candidates can find any type of job to meet their needs, whether that’s local, regional, long haul or specific freight.
- Rapid Career Growth: Candidates can start as a Company Driver and quickly work their way through our Lease Purchase program, eventually becoming an Independent Contractor with their own fleet.
Join Our Team Today
Do you have Class A CDL? We have openings for company drivers, independent contractors and lease purchase operators, along with a specialized division, which includes HAZMAT and tanker vehicles. Our company isn’t limited to just drivers! We also have positions for a wide range of professional, clerical and technical field opportunities. Everyone at PGT plays a part in our success to keep materials moving across the country.