The Season of Giving: How PGT Trucking Supports Our Local Community
Thanksgiving is a time to count our blessings, express our gratitude and help those less fortunate. As PGT prepares for the holidays, we are inspired to spread goodwill throughout our local communities. The charitable season is generally kick-started with Giving Tuesday (the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving) and lasts through December 31. Because the generous spirit of holidays coincides with many fiscal year-ends, the majority of charitable donations are made during the last quarter of the year, with approximately 30% of all annual giving occurring in December.
People can support local causes in a variety of ways, making monetary donations, raising awareness or volunteering their time and services. Approximately 77.9 million people volunteer in the U.S., serving an estimated 5.8 billion hours per year. Volunteerism is also locally-driven. Through a recent survey by Walgreens, 92% of respondents were more likely to contribute to a local charity than a national organization, believing that it will have a bigger impression in the community. By donating to a local group, people are able to see the immediate impact of their generosity and help improve their own neighborhoods.
GUIDED BY STEWARDSHIP
At PGT Trucking, stewardship is one of our core values—a commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and our communities. We have strong roots in Western Pennsylvania, remaining headquartered in Beaver County for more than 41 years. We have a passion for our local community, and we support a variety of causes throughout the year, focusing on opportunities to grow and develop our region. PGT’s mission is to be a respected member of the communities we live and work in.
To be a respected member of the communities we live and work in through charitable contributions, volunteering and participation in organizations that benefit community and human beings lives.
LEAD BY EXAMPLE
Corporations alone were responsible for $21.1 billion in charitable contributions last year. When a business supports charitable works, it creates a positive impact in the immediate community, boosts employee morale, and strengthens its relationships.
PGT aims to inspire charitable works throughout our company, donating time, resources and support to local organizations at all our company locations across the U.S. Our drivers, staff and their families are encouraged to join our philanthropic efforts, making similar impacts in their own communities.
TAKE PART IN THE MONTH OF GIVING
Interested in doing more? Here a few ideas to get started:
- Host an event of your own – In the office or in the community, you can organize an event to give back. Collections for food, winter clothing and toys are always well-received this time of year.
- Volunteer – What non-profits in your area need help this holiday season? Consider spending time at a community soup kitchen or nursing home. Just an hour of your time will be much appreciated, and you can get the whole family involved to spend time together while doing a good deed.
- Donate – There are endless charities that need donations, and not just this time of year, but all year long. You can donate your time, money or supplies. Most check-out counters accept donations or offer to “round up” your total, which are easy ways to support causes when you’re out over-the-road.
- Touch-a-Truck – Participate in a touch-a-truck fundraiser or similar event, giving the community a chance to see your equipment, learn more about the industry and get together for a great cause.
- Transport – Many organizations need a reliable transportation service to haul collected toys, food, emergency supplies and more. Contact a local group in your area to see how you can help.
- Yearlong Activities – While the holiday season motivates us to be more giving, charities and nonprofit organizations need our support all year long. Consider setting up a monthly donation or planning volunteer activities each quarter.
PGT TRUCKING CARES
PGT believes in doing more for our employees, drivers and local communities. We will continue to support organizations that are committed to benefiting the greater good, providing the time, dedication and resources to help everyone succeed.